Clicking on the thumbnails will give you a bigger picture in a new window


This 17th century building is located in the village Moresnet. You can find it across the street from the church behind the houses bordering the street. At the end of the 18th or the beginning of the 19th century the castle was destroyed by a fire.
Nobody really took the effort to study the history of this seigniory. What we do know for sure is that at the end of the 16th century or beginning of the 17th century there was castle that was owned by Michel Heyendal named Van den Bennelt, husband of Irma op den Hoff. Their son leaves the castle to his son Henri Heyendal. He dies in 1662 when he was only 29 years old. His widow marries Guillaume Losiever in 1664. He was an alcoholic who had huge debts. Because of this the Heyendal family was forced to sell the castle.
Nobody knows for sure who bought the castle but in 1716 it is lawyer Nicolas de Hodiamont who inhabits the castle with his wife Catherine Lemaire. He leaves the castle to his sons Pierre Joseph Emmanuel and Jean Antoine, Lords of Neau. In 1754 they order a study to see what is necessary to restore the castle. In 1762 the restorations aren't done yet and another study is needed. Pierre Joseph Emmanuel marries Marie Jacobine de Bastin. His bother stays bachelor. The son of Pierre Joseph Emmanuel inherits the castle together with his nephew Guillaume E.J. de Résimont. Somewhere along the line Sofie de Hodiamont marries her nephew. They don't succeed into getting an heir and so the castle goes to six other members of the Résimont – De Hodiamont family.
In 1905 the castle is by notary act adjudge to Alphonse D.J. de Résimont. He leaves the castle to his borther Zénon who leaves the estate to his niece Baroness Sophie van Voorts tot Voorts wife of Louis Glibert. The castle becomes property of the daughter of Glibert. Yvonne Glibert remarries after the death of her husband with Georges de Cavey.
The picture on the right is scanned from a postcard.