There was a small stronghold as far back as the 10th century. A keep was added but that was removed in the 17th century when extensions were made. A second castle was built in 1733 by Lothaire de Zievel and his wife Appolinaire-Agnès-Elisabeth de Haagen Motten in the architectural style of that period. In 1759 major restoration work was done by Jean-Henri de Zievel. De Zievel dynasty died out in 1765 and the castle fell into the hands of Marc Antoine de Verniolles. Several other proprietors followed. The last private owners were the Collart family. August Collard decided to sell the property when his spouse Daisy Collart Weber died in 1969. The town of Bettembourg bought the chateau in 1971 and opened it as town hall after extensive restoration and reconstruction work in 1991.