Castle Buerstede was an old fortified castle that belonged in the 15th century to the Sanders family. The castle changed hands a few times until it became property of the family Crane-d'Heysselaere in the year 1700. They remodeled the castle completely. The last private owner of the castle was Leon Gilliot who bought it from René Moretus. In 1953 the castle became a home for displaced persons. It was the start of the end for the once vast domain. Large parts of land were sold and cut up into lots. The large pond was filled up and slowly the park disappeared completely. The castle stands now nearby the A12 one of the busiest roads of Belgium.