This castle is currently no longer open to the public but you can view the castle from the public road. You find the castle in the village of Neuville – in - Condroz in the province Liege.
The origin of the town can be traced back to the 13th century. When people started to built houses close to this stronghold. The castle that is surrounded by a moat was only accessible by two drawbridges that were later replaced by stone bridges. A massive keep dominated the castle. During the first five centuries the castle was in the hands of the Lords Dammartin, Hammer and Warnant.
The family Lannoy becomes the new castle Lords in 1724 by marriage. They would keep the domain for a period of 130 years. The make several modifications to the castle and turn it from a medieval stronghold into a more luxurious dwelling. The castle becomes one of the most remarkable estates of the Principality Liege. It is the 18th century this time period awakes a certain era of luxury for those who can afford it so big windows were added to the façade the interior is decorated with wood and stucco in the Louis XVI style. A French garden is installed in the park.
In 1758 the big farm beside the castle was built in brick and limestone in U shape with the U opening facing the castle.
We are in the 19th century when Count Adrien of Lannoy and his spouse Married Amelia de Tornaco live in the castle. The Count dies in 1854 without an heir so the castle goes to his wife. During this era the castle with its forest, it's meadows, farm, mill and park form a perfect harmony with nature. Towards the years 1857- 1858 the castle and estate are 90% of the surface of the town of Neuville – in – Condroz. When we enter the 20th century the peaceful times of the castle is ended promptly by the first world war. August 1914 the Germans occupy the castle. They suspect Baron Tornaco working with the allies and bombardments damage the castle severely. It is occupied and pillaged. Furniture is broken and thrown in the moat, paintings are destroyed, books are burned and the collection of porcelain and crystal is shipped to Germany. At the end of the war the Canadians install themselves in the castle and it deteriorate more and more.
The castle is in 1940 again occupied by the German's. The last Baron of Tornaco is unmarried and he dies in his castle in 1943. With him there comes an end to the seigniory of the Neuville. The domain is cut up and sold in small bits.
October 1944 sees the American soldiers moving into the castle. Two months later two flying bombs fall in the moat of the castle blowing off a big part of the roof and making a big hole in north eastern wing. Later on prisoner of wars were installed in the castle. They start to dismantle the castle of the wooden panelling to burn it in the fireplaces to make food. The castle is then sold to a furniture merchant. He installs a sawmill in the farm and devastates the forest with cutting down oaks. He also removes the last wooden panelling from the castle takes out all marble or anything else of value to sell it.
After the war several families of the region move into the parts of the castle that are still preserved in a total absence of any convenience or comfort. People in the area start to worry more and more that the castle will be demolished and they try to get it protected. Plans are made but none of them materialize. During many years the castle stays abandoned open to vandals and looters.
In 1962 mister Jacquemotte saves the castle by buying it. He installs a brassiere – restaurant in the castle and turns the farm into a horse riding school. Jacquemotte sells the castle in 1990 to mister Mathy. In the middle of 1995 the castle changes hands again and it becomes property of Thierry Hanosset and Francis Probts.