Clicking on the thumbnails will give you a bigger picture in a new window


Everybody knows this building but not many know its name or what it is. What we still can see now is not more then the entrance building to the castle Roosendael. The castle was built in 1637 as a weekend retreat by the rich family Roosendael. They kept the castle in their possession for almost 250 years. In the 19th century the castle was turned into a house for the poor. It stayed like this until the beginning of the 20th century. The castle was in bad shape when the city of Merksem bought the castle and restored it in 1932 - 1933. The castle became after the restoration a music school. Disaster struck the castle in 1944 when allied forces bomb the castle. Only the gate building survived the inferno. The local history club is now located in the building that can be seen from the public road.
(Old picture of the castle provided by KKvHM vzw)