Many documents and archives where destroyed during the battle of Bastogne during WWII. Because of this we can't be sure about the exact history of this beautiful castle. Jehay was called in the 11th century Jahin or Jehaign. Around 1130, a certain Jehan inhabited it. In 1210 Libert de Lexhy succeeds him and in 1250 warlord Miles of Jehain inhabits the castle. The next owner is Arnaould de Jehin - he is succeeded by the tyrant Wathieu d'Athin a demagogue from Luik. He is banished from Jehay in 1428 and all his possession are confiscated. The castle comes in the hands of Gerard Gossuin major of Luik. His daughter Agnes marries Quantin de Towin who is killed in the war between the Hoorns and de van der Marcks. Jehay becomes property though succession of Marguerite de la Falloise and later on of Jehan Homant de Sart. His daughter Jehanne marries in 1492 with Arnold de Merode. Their decedents stay for two centuries on the castle and gave the castle its current looks which date to 1550. Ferdinand Maximilien de Merode sells Jehay in 1680 to Francois de Gand-Vilain van de Steen, Baron of van Saive and major of Luik. Since then the castle stays in the possession of the van den Steen family. During and after WWII the castle is used as a children's home and was in rather bad condition. It was given back to Count Guy van den Steen a few years after the war. The Count and his wife marquise d'Ormode dedicated their life to restoring and refurnishing the castle. The coat of arms of the family says “Recte faciendo neminem timeas” (by doing good, you shall fear no one) and 'Semper et ubique fidelis' (always and everywhere loyal). Count Guy van den Steen dies December 20th, 1999 at the age of 93. He made sure that his castle would be kept in pristine condition and that it was opened to the public. The castle and gardens are like a fairytale come true. You have to visit this wonderful place at least one time.