Not much is known about the history of Monceau before the 15th century. Othon VI of Trazegnies (1330–1384) is thought to have inherited it from his mother, Jeanne de Heppignies. In 1443, the territory of Monceau passed to the Hamal family when Anne de Trazegnies, the sole heiress, married Arnould de Hamal, Seigneur of Elderen. Jean de Hamal had the fortress modernized in 1510. The castle has been a ruin since the latter half of the 16th century. The Counts of Hamal were the once who rebuilt the castle in the early17th century. Their decedent by marriage, the Princes of Gavre added a wing in the late 18th century. During the next decades the castle passed on to the Eggers and later the Houtarts family, a family of industrialists who redecorated it at the end of the 19th century. Later on they sold it to the town of Charleroi who restored it and used it now for cultural events.