The first traces of this castle are found in the 11th century when Gozelon de Montaiqu owned the stronghold. Later on in the same century the castle became part of a defensive territory of the north of Luxemburg. In the beginning of the 14th century Jean de Bohęme ads a tower to the castle. In 1461 the castle becomes the property of the Hamal Family and they will keep it in their family until 1774. After that the castle changes hands often and it was in the hands of the following families; de Gonioul, de Réesimont, de Jenneret, de Chardeneux, de preu-de Viron, de Hemicourt, de Grüne, de Blier, de Charneux and de Baillet. The castle then went to the family of Libotte by marriage. Their daughter marries the chancellors de Wampe whose heiress, Marie Francois married Albert Joseph de Favereau in 1781. Lord de Favereau demolishes the old Hamal residence, except for the square 13th century tower and builds a country home in bricks on the old foundations. The castle stays in the hands of the family de Favereau until 1877. Louise Matie Eulalie inherited the castle in 1877. She marries Amable Alexis de Jourda, Earl de Vaux. The new owners torn down the brick house as well as the 13th century tower and rebuilt the castle in 1888 in the 13th century neo gothic style. During World War One the family de Vaux uses the castle as a hospital to take care of the wounded. In World War II, during the battle of Von Rundstedt, American soldiers occupy the castle. The earl dies in 1946 at which time the castle with its 400 acres of forest is sold. In 1948 a group of philanthropists entertained the idea of establishing it as a holiday center and camp for students and scholars. In 1949 the initiative was started and it contained a holiday school, a youth inn, a camping site and a hotel restaurant. After the initiative went bankrupt in 1975 the castle was sold to Serge Frankovitch. Thereafter it remained empty for several years and it started to deteriorate and was looted. The international society for Krishna Consciousness bought the castle and started to renovate it, these restorations are still going on.
The castle can now be visited, there is also a restaurant, a bakery and a shop in the out buildings surrounding the castle. You can find the castle close to Durbuy