The original 16th century castle of which, now only one tower remains, was destroyed in 1542 by the army of Maarten van Rossem. Jan Van Crombach major of Antwerp built the current renaissance castle between 1543 and 1555. His heirs sold the castle and domain to Melchior Schetz. Jan Baptist Cornelissen remodelled the castle around 1750. The city of Schoten bought the castle in 1950 and did restorations. In 1972 tragedy struck when a fire destroyed part of the castle. Everything was restored again. The park is open to the public.