The first castle Ter Rijst was built around 1225 by Eggeric de Rist, Lord of Heikruis. Karel Van de Noot erected the current castle in 1480. It was an impressive stronghold with four massive corner towers. Viscount Théodore de Nieulant de Pottelsberghe demolished the dilapidated towers and remodeled the castle in neo classical style in 1868-69. He was also the one who is responsible for the lay out of the park. The last noble owner of the castle was Viscount Hubert Jolly. Property developer Jean L'Ecluse bought the domain in 1973 and sold it to the Flemish community in 1981. The park is now open to the public and houses business offices.