Clicking on the thumbnails will give you a bigger picture in a new window


FERME DE LA TOUR

The small village Terwagne is for the first time mentioned in 816 as Tervonia. This castle farm may not be the most spectacular in the area but the tower beside the gate dates back to the 13th century when it was the keep of the Terwagne family. In the beginning of the 13th century there was a certain Thierry Terwagne who had a conflict with a nearby abbey and he won the dispute in 1216 before the tribunal of Liege. He was the first of the Terwagne family we have written prove about. The Terwagne family named their keep de la tour and a whole line of Terwagne would rule over the fief until the beginning of the 17th century.
It is pretty certain that the farm was added to the keep around the 16th century. The farm is private property but the keep borders the road and so can be viewed in all its glory.

BACK TO THE PROVINCE LIEGE