The history of the castle of the Dukes of Brabant goes back to the 12th century. It is located on the place where the city of Turnhout saw birth. For 4 centuries it was the hunting castle for the Dukes of Brabant. The castle was remodeled several times throughout the centuries. Like in 1525 when Margaretha van Oostenrijk lived there and also between 1545 and 1566 when Maria van Hongerije lived in the castle. She was the one who turned the castle into a renaissance palace. The castle is a traditional sandstone and brick building with baroque influences. A renovation between 1650 and 1658 gave the castle its present look. The castle was property of the Nassau family from the early 17th century until the end of the Ancient regime. After that the castle was deserted and started to turn in a ruin. The province of Antwerp bought the castle and renovated it between 1908 and 1921 when the castle became the courthouse. The most recent renovation was done the past 2 years and the castle was inaugurated again in May 2000.
You can find the castle in the center of the city Turnhout and it is still used as Court house