The count of Limburg-Stirum married in 1822 with Albertina de Pret Roose de Calesberg. Their marriage was very fruitful as they produced nine children. After his parent's death, their son Engelbertus, Count of Limburg-Stirum became the new owner of the castle. He became major of Wemmel in 1888 and would stay major until his death in 1907. Two of his sisters Countess Maria and Sofia lived in the castle until 1926. Their heirs donated the castle to the city. The domain was for the largest part allotted and the city turned the castle into city hall. The current castle was rebuilt in the 17th century on the remains of an old medieval water castle. The building is complex with different wings and towers. The walls of the castle were in 1938 plastered and painted white. The outside of the castle is still pretty much the same as when it was brand new in 1649. However, the inside was mutilated to accommodate the offices. In the council chamber we still find a beautiful gothic chimney that dates 1451. What remains of the domain is open to the public.